I found this week harder than last. Maybe its because my motivation waned a bit, or maybe it was because Olive has decided that she no longer needs two naps a day (help!) She is as busy as a bee and I am having a hard time finding activities for her to do while I try to get things done around the house. How did you guys deal with this transition? I’m finding it difficult to say the least.
Any way, I did manage to find some time this week make my favourite kale salad. It is pretty easy to assemble if you chop a big batch of kale ahead of time. I generally try to set some time aside on Sunday’s to prep my kale for the week so that I have easy to access kale all week long for salads and smoothies.
My Favourite Kale Salad:
What you will need:
- 2-3 bushels of Kale (I like to use lacinato kale for its texture).
- 1 red onion
- Parmasean cheese
- Pine nuts
- Dried berries of your liking (I usually use dried cranberries, but I sometimes use dried wild blueberries)
- 1 small shallot
- Olive oil
- Vinegar (white wine or rice would do well here)
- 1 heaping spoonful of grainy mustard
- 1 lemon
- 1 clove garlic
- Wash the kale, remove from stem, and chop into small pieces (this is the most time consuming, sorry!)
- “Massage” the kale with olive oil and the juice of one lemon, cover and let marinate in the fridge for a few hours.
- To prepare everything else: Chop onion into small pieces, grate parmesan cheese, toast pine nuts on the stove top (I like to use a bit of grapeseed oil, salt and pepper here).
- Before serving: mix everything together and add the dressing.
For the dressing:
- Chop shallot into tiny pieces
- Add aprox 1/4 cup olive oil, and 1/4 cup vinegar (I never measure so I am just guessing here!), a heaping spoonful of grainy mustard, crushed garlic clove, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix everything together and let sit for a few hours.
The best part about this salad is that it gets better the longer it sits as the flavours have more time to mingle. Leave the leftovers in the fridge overnight and it will taste even better the next day!
Next week Ana has challenged everyone to try to cut out sugar, something that I am definitely going to have a hard time doing!