This is a delicious breakfast cereal that freezes incredibly well. Simply thaw in the fridge overnight and heat up on the stove top before serving. You may want to add a little water when reheating to reach desired consistency.
This recipe is from Lianne Phillipson – Webb’s Sprout Right (my favourite baby nutrition book out there!) This is by far Olive’s favourite breakfast cereal, so we eat it a lot! I have changed a few things from her original recipe – I make mine with chicken stock instead of water, and I tend to increase the amount of fruit. The key here is cutting up the apple and pear into really small pieces so that it is easy for babies who are just starting texture. This recipe is super easy to make and freeze ahead of time, so go ahead and make a big batch!
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup amaranth, rinsed well
- 3 pears, chopped into small cubes
- 3 apples, chopped into small cubes
- ¼ frozen wild, organic blueberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cm "thumb" of ginger finely chopped or grated
- Combine all ingredients in a pot
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to simmer
- Stir often until amaranth is cooked, about 20 minutes
- Puree, mash or leave as is. Olive is at the stage where she can handle a little texture, so I simply mash this whole thing with a potato masher before spooning into freezer jars.